Video footage from Phantom 25

On Sunday 2nd October 2011, The Phantom of the Opera played the third and final of a series of special performances at the Royal Albert Hall, staged to celebrate the show’s incredible 25th Anniversary.

In this video clip, members of the creative team including composer Andrew Lloyd Webber, producer Cameron Mackintosh and choreographer Gillian Lynne; Ramin Karimloo and Sierra Boggess, who played The Phantom and Christine in the 25th Anniversary production; and special guests Colm Wilkinson and John Owen-Jones, who plays The Phantom in the London production, all discuss the show’s 25th Anniversary at the show after-party.

To view more images from the party, click here. All images c. Dan Wooller.

11 Responses to Video footage from Phantom 25

1. Kerri Walker says:

Went to see phantom of the opera 25th anniversary at the cinema with my friend. It was superb!! i feel really special to have been watching an important piece of history. Everyone involved whether on stage or behind the scenes did a tremendous job.

2. Lydia says:

Amazing footage! It was truly a dream come true to attend this 25th anniversary. I am a huge ‘Phan’ since I was only 5 years old and the Phantom of the Opera has and always will be a big part of my life. This was a once in a lifetime experience which I will never, ever forget! Thank you so much Andrew Lloyd Webber, for this stunning, breathtaking production, thank you Sarah Brightman, for you are truly the Angel of Music and thank you to all the people who made it happen over the past 25 years. I could not be more grateful!

3. Emily Brocklebank says:

went to see it at the cinema and it was an absolutly amazing performance especially from Ramin Karimloo his phantom portayal was superb and is singing is out of this world. Cant wait to see him at the bridge water hall in a couple of weeks =)

4. Jane says:

I had privilege of being at Royal Albert Hall Sunday afternoon – thank you for such wonderful show. The staging was truly amazing even better than at Her Majesty’s theatre. How fantastic to hear all the Phantoms singing together and we even got to meet most of them. Ramin & Sierra are just ‘phantastic’ and such humble people about their craft. I am so looking forward to the DVD and CD coming out – can’t wait and keep playing the current CD all the time.
    Please may I desperately ask though that you release a DVD of Ramin’s performance of Love Never Dies, he just gives me goosebumps when he sings and after having been so many times to see the show would love a DVD to keep the memories alive!

• Angela Iannilli says:

I agree with you regarding the release of Ramin in Love Never Dies, could never understand why they have chosen to release the DVD of the Australian version of it. To me Ramin is the one that made that role what it is.. It would be wonderful if we had both the Love Never Dies and the Phantom 25 with Ramin’s preformance.

• Angie Bishop says:

I agree that the London LND should be released Ramin was just perfect every time I saw him in it (6 times) – to me he is the Phantom. I was so lucky to be at the RAH on both Saturday and Sunday evenings it was so magical in that wonderful venue and I can’t wait to see Ramin in Concert with Celia Graham on Thursday 13th at Colston Hall Bristol.

• Catherine Logan says:

Absolutely agree re DVD of LND. I too saw it 6 times including the closing night – Ramin’s and Celia Graham’s performances were sheer perfection, I still get goose bumps when I think about it. I have never known a song get a standing ovation in the middle of a show like Till I Hear You Sing did, such a passionate and magical performace. Why oh why oh why was a DVD made of the Australian show and not the London one??!! I also wish that a CD recording could be made of the show as it was when it finished which included a few more POTO melodies as well as Ramin singing a verse of LND at the end which was perfect, the show deserved to finish with a flourish and not a whimper. Am so sad it has finished, the music, lyrics and performances of everyone involved were truly special.

• Harry Prouse says:

The reason that the Australian Version is being released is because the reworking of the production by Simon Phillips is far superior to the London Production.

• Catherine Logan says:

There are thousands of people in the UK who loved the London production and returned to see it many times – to say nothing of the amazing voices and acting of Ramin Karimloo, Celia Graham etc and it is that production we would love to be able to watch again and again now that it is no longer on stage.

5. Deb says:

I watched the 25th Anniversary show on screen in Australia, and I can’t remember anything so wonderful. I’ve seen the stage production twice, once with the late Rob Guest as the Phantom, and once with Anthony Warlow. They were both brilliant and I enjoyed both enormously despite them both bringing their own individuality to the role – or perhaps because of that.

One of my relatives had the pleasure of seeing Michael Crawford in London in the very early days of Phantom and still boasts about it being one of the best experiences of her life.

Thank you Sir Andrew for taking inspiration from Gaston Leroux’s beautifully written book and creating this magnificent show.

6. Gillian says:

I was privileged to see Michael Crawford & Sarah Brightman in the opening weeks of Phantom. I was just a teenager, but I was so moved by it that I didn’t want to see another musical for years after, for fear that it would spoil my memory of Phantom (I had already seen Cats, Starlight Express & Michael in Barnum).
    This Christmas I asked for the 25th Anniversary DVD of Phantom & I was not disappointed: what a fantastic performance! What’s more my 4 year old son is completely entranced by Phantom & wants to watch it over & over! Bravo!
    So disappointed that LND ended its run before I had chance to see it.