The Phantom of the Opera comes to Manila

Phantom ManilaMANILA, 2nd April 2012:  The world’s most successful and popular musical, and the longest-running show on Broadway – THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA -will be staged in Manila for a strictly limited season from 25 August 2012 at the CCP Main Theatre.  Tickets go on sale on Monday 19 March to Smart and Citibank clients prior to going on public sale on 1 May, and are expected to be highly sought after.

Andrew Lloyd Webber’s critically acclaimed masterpiece celebrated its 25th anniversary on the West End stage last year, and continues to play to full houses nightly in London, New York and around the world.  THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA has been seen by over 130 million people worldwide, in more than 27 countries, has won over 50 major theatre awards, and has grossed more than US$5.6 billion.

Producer Tim McFarlane, Managing Director of The Really Useful Company Asia Pacific, said

James Cundall, CEO of Lunchbox Theatrical Productions, presenters of THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA in Manila, said “To bring the world’s most popular musical to such a musically-gifted nation as The Philippines has been a long-term dream.  It is a superb show which epitomizes all that is great about musical theatre – unbelievable music, a powerfully moving story, lavish sets and costumes, and most importantly, superb audience entertainment.  THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA is a worldwide sensation which will take Philippine audiences on an unforgettable musical theatre journey.”

THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA tells the story of a disfigured musical genius known only as ‘The Phantom’ who haunts the depths of the Paris Opera House.  Mesmerised by the talents and beauty of a young soprano – Christine, the Phantom lures her as his protégé and falls fiercely in love with her.  Unaware of Christine’s love for Raoul, The Phantom’s obsession sets the scene for a dramatic turn of events where jealousy, madness and passions collide.

With 130 cast, crew and orchestra members, jaw-dropping scenery, breathtaking special effects and more than 230 costumes by international designer, the late Maria Björnson, THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA contains some of Andrew Lloyd Webber’s most famous and stirring music, including “The Phantom of the Opera” and “Music of the Night”.

The timeless, romantic and much-loved musical has been honoured with seven prestigious New York Tony Awards, among them the Tony for Best Musical, seven Drama Desk Awards and three Oliver Awards.

The film of THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA was released in 2004 and has thrilled cinema-goers around the world, and a Las Vegas spectacular now in its sixth year continues to enthral audiences.

Andrew Lloyd Webber’s musical is based upon the novel Le Fantome De L’Opera by Gaston Leroux.  The original London production was produced by Cameron Mackintosh and The Really Useful Group. THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA is produced in Manila by Lunchbox Theatrical Productions, David Atkins Enterprises, Hi-Definition Radio Inc. and Concertus in association with The Really Useful Group.

Most recently Lunchbox Theatrical Productions, Hi-Definition Radio Inc. and Concertus brought the sell-out success Mamma Mia to The Philippines, and in 2011, Andrew Lloyd Webber’s sensational musical Cats.  In addition to THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA, they are bringing the hit children’s show Barney’s Space Adventures to Manila in April this year.

CLICK HERE for ticket information.

59 Responses to The Phantom of the Opera comes to Manila

1. rogelio g. arellano says:

i am so excited to watch this musical…it is my longest dream to see this…and now it will come true…thank you so much.

• Roy says:

I saw the show last month in London. Front row balcony seats for half the price that is being charged in Manila. Seems London is cheaper than Manila these days.

2. Janey Briggs says:

Who will play Erik? Gosh! I hope it’s Ramin!

• Marinette Unson says:

OMG I HOPE IT’S RAMIN TOO. <3

• Boby says:

A lot of the songs above are popular’ or medron’ songs that I wouldn’t advise you use in a musical. Only a beginner would suggest a Billy Elliot song for a legit musical theatre show that often uses classically trained singers. For the open casting calls, I think they generally only want you to sing a few lines. Sometimes they also ask for a gentle classical piece, like an Italian art song. When is the open casting call you are going for?Or, if you have a private audition, they should be telling you exactly what to sing . right?So, if you’re doing the open casting call, and they’re asking for a musical theatre piece, it needs to be something in a similar style to Phantom. You don’t want to sing something that shows off that you can sing jazz or popular, because clearly that’s not going to help you get the role in this show.I wouldn’t do any other ALW, if I were you.I would choose a dramatic piece (not a comedic one) that’s in a similar voice type/style as the role you are auditioning for. I would assume you’re speaking of the professional show, but I just thought that if you ARE auditioning for high school or something . Then it doesn’t really matter. Sing any musical theatre piece you want. DON’T sing real opera.

• Joe says:

I don’t think its gonna be Ramin or Sierra…But it would’ve been nice for them to reprise their roles again as Phantom and Christine…I’m also wondering who’s going to play one of the ICONIC ROLES…They haven’t published nor revealed it yet on the official website…Are you guys watching the premier night?

3. sheena says:

please bring Ramin here! :)

4. Robert says:

Will definitely come back to the Philippines on vacation for the Phantom. Saw the big billboard on EDSA yesterday and was very excited

5. Robert says:

Saw the big billboard yesterday in Manila advertising Phantom. Went to the CCP website to look for details…nothing there. I cant believe the CCP has nothing on its website. How embarrassingly sad. I will be sure to schedule my next vacation to coincide with the Phantom’s run here. Saw it three times in Detroit in the 1990s and still love it! Thanks, Sir Andrew, for this and your many other works of art.

6. Kim says:

We want Ramin Karimloo.

• albert de arroz says:

Sierra Boggess and Ramin Karimloo will be great. There are other good actors and actresses that could portray Kristine and Erik to name some Sarah Jean Ford(Broadway) , Gina Beck(West End) , Marny Raab(Broadway), Hugh Panaro(Broadway).

7. Mel says:

Please let RAMIN play Phantom. Please. Please. Please.

8. Sue Ng says:

will you all performa in MY in near future..Missed the previous tour in Singapore. Have been waiting for this show for so long…………:(

9. Phantomlover says:

Hope it’s Ramin and Sierra Boggess! :) ))))))

10. Jay says:

dear God, dear God…please let it be John Owen Jones…or Ramin…but I think Ramin can’t be Erik because of his ongoing tour…? Either way, this is going to be AWESOME.

11. jin miranda says:

I missed Phantom of the Opera when I was in New York as it was fully booked for three months. Am so thrilled now for its Manila engagement! Bravo !!!!

12. Robie says:

I watched Phantom of the Opera in New York many years ago. It was the best musical productions i have seen. From the singing and stage presentation, it was awesome.
    I cannot wait to see in the Philippines.

13. Nathan says:

I have been wanting to see The Phantom of the Opera since I first heard it in high school. There was a school production of it and I fell in love right away. It’s the musical that introduced me to theater. I still have a double cassette tape of the original London cast.

14. Mary Mari says:

Any news on who would play the phantom? Oh please let it be Ramin!

15. Ed Orino says:

I’ve have watched the movie version of this play for several times. Love to see POTP live on stage! Glad to know that it will in Manila!

16. Shiela says:

Just got tickets! I’m on the front row!:)) I would like Ramin and Sierra to be the cast but I think the one who’s going to play it, is the one whose picture is in the ticket. I’m not sure? :D But anyway, whoever it may be, this is going to be SPECTACULAR!:) I knew this musical since I was 10 and I it is really my dream to watch this live, I really really want this badly and I’ve got it!:) Thanks God. But it’s my first time to go on a broadway concert and I was wondering what to wear? Is it formal? I would be delighted if someone answers. Thank you so much and God Bless you. Can’t wait for this!:)

17. Nell Valeroso says:

I really do hope it will be Ramin Karimloo and Sierra Boggess! Can’t wait; am already excited! :)

18. Pauline says:

I hope Ramin is going to play the phantom! I’m totally going to watch this. :D D

19. robbie says:

I would definitely come to Manila and watch this! This is great! Thank you!

20. Margaret Queens says:

As much as I would love Ramin and Sierra to perform here ’cause in my opinion they’re the best cast and the chemistry is just amazing. She’s so pretty and he’s really hot. ;) but Jonathan Roxmouth will be playing the Phantom. I am so psyched eitherway!

• Selma says:

Hi Margaret. No need to worry. Jonathan is sooooo much better than Ramin!!! He is the best Phantom in the world, in my opinion! You WILL be stunned by his incredible talent. And the rest of the SA cast who will be joining him are all fantastic as well.

21. Nathan says:

I bought 3 tickets to The Phantom of the Opera. I am excited to see it. My dream is realized.

• ladybugz says:

thanks for that, Nathan. aren’t we excited?!!!

• Nina Tomlinson says:

We share the same dream my friend:)

22. ladybugz says:

I’ve always love Phantom of the Opera….I’ll be watching this with my 2 colleagues this September, got the tickets already :)

• Nathan says:

Is it true that Jonathan Roxmouth will play The Phantom? They haven’t announced it yet..

23. Chad Naude says:

The South African cast will be touring and they are phenominal. I’ve see this production 5 times while it was in Johannesburg and loved it. Jonathan makes a brilliant phantom. Enjoy the show

24. Nina Tomlinson says:

I have been waiting to watch this show my entire life!!!!!! And now, it’s finally coming to Manila!! I hope I’ll be able to watch it… I’m positive it’s going to be an amazing show. I’ve watched the movie version a billion times. I CANNOT wait!!!!! #Excited!!!

25. Pingback: Hakuna matata! Lion King rules Broadway | Hot News and Topics,Celebrity Gossip News

26. Pingback: My Bucket List | To Infinity And Beyond

27. Marius says:

The enitire cast is coming from South Africa, I know the company flying them over, so there will be no Ramin or sierra I am afraid.

28. dawn says:

i’m watching it on sept. 15, 3 pm, front row seat and i’m super excited. i can’t believe i’ll be watching it again (and here in Manila at that) exactly 12 years from the time i’ve seen it in New York.

29. joan inglott says:

pls can you tell me when tickets after the 27th april will be for sale?I will be in london from the 29th april to the 2 nd may thanks

30. john marlo serquena says:

who’ll do phantom and cristine?

31. Ainzley Villalon says:

Phantom – Jonathan Roxmouth (The youngest English man to do the role)
    Claire Lyon – Christine (First did Love Never Dies in Australia as an alternate and one of the most beautiful for the role)
    Anthony Downing – Raoul (The world’s most handsome for the role)

Gotta love the cast! :)

32. anne says:

Stoked!!! gettin’ ready for this ^_^

• Jessica says:

Posted on Do you people have a fabecook fan page? I looked for one on twitter but could not discover one, I would really like to become a fan!

33. Fretz says:

here if the invitation from the cast..

34. Ems says:

My friends are watching it tonight at CCP. And I’m here, studying. Finishing my reports. :( I soooo envy them. Anyway, is it Ramin???????

35. Nikki says:

Go see it. It definitely goes beyond even the highest of expectations. It was spectacular!

36. Mae says:

me & my husband watched it yesterday Sept 2, 2012. we watched the 3pm show!
    it was so amazing! very nice production set!
    loved all the singers/casts! they all sang very, very well yesterday.
    it even made me cry on the last part. oh how i love the Phantom! :)

37. ladybugz says:

saw it with my two colleagues last night, it was amazing! i cannot get over it! it was everything i expected. so much more and i was really satisfied and again, still mesmerized. it was enchanting. the cast were great! bravo! love you guys. thank you! mabuhay! god bless!

38. kellie says:

am so excited watching the play,thanks mom and dad for the pre anniversary gift.love you so much!best parents in the world..

39. sheila balce says:

i watched last sept. 6 , the phantom its a great musical show.. a dream to watch… lovable story..

40. Maan Delupio says:

why is there an Oct2-14 sched in the ticketworld website? isnt it until Sept30 only? please i need to know if it will be extended until Oct14. thanks!

41. Ronnie Rabino says:

Our group of friends watched the 3 PM show yesterday, September 16. Phantom of the Opera is really great. Full house! Congratulations!

42. eppie san jose says:

cant wait to see this musical on the 29th! barely 10 days more to go, yes!

43. Charo Quintia says:

I watched with my family last September 20, and we totally loved it! We had Jonathan Roxmouth as Erik, Emilie Lynn as Christine, and Anthony Downing as Raoul. The whole experience was stellar. Jonathan Roxmouth as the Phantom was totally heartbreaking. I was sobbing toward the end. I’m watching again in October, and I’m hoping to see the Jonathan/Claire/Anthony trio this time. :)

44. Pamela Presbitero says:

I saw Phantom of the Opera at the CCP last night. I was seated on the upper box level of the theatre and I was a little disappointed that I could not understand half of the words that were sung by the actors. I could only understand them when they were not singing their lines. Not sure if it was just because of where I was seated or if was the acoustics… Even so, I did enjoy the show. But I mostly had to rely on the action on stage to understand the story.

45. Khristina doctor says:

this is what i’ve been waiting for. The word’s greatest broadway play on earth!!! xD
    p.s. jonathan roxmouth’s voice is the strongest voice i have ever heared in my entire life.

46. JAG says:

PLEASE EXTEND THE SHOW!!! MY COUSIN AND I WILL BE IN MANILA FOR THE SEM BREAK AND WE ARE REALLY DYING TO SEE THE PHANTOM! SO PLEASE! EXTEND THE SHOW LONGER!

47. Ainzley Villalon says:

CLAIRE LYON WAS THE BEST CHRISTINE I’VE EVER SEEN AND HEARD! SAME GOES TO JONATHAN AND ANTHONY :)

48. Paul Andrew says:

Please bring Phantom back to Manila this 2014! I missed the show last time because i’m busy with my graduating year in college.

49. Jonathan Llarena says: