The Phantom of the Opera at the Royal Albert Hall

CELEBRATING 25 YEARS

CAMERON MACKINTOSH PRESENTS ANDREW LLOYD WEBBER’S THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA AT THE ROYAL ALBERT HALL ON SATURDAY 1ST AND SUNDAY 2ND OCTOBER 2011.

RAMIN KARIMLOO AND SIERRA BOGGESS LEAD A CAST AND ORCHESTRA OF OVER 200.

TICKETS ON SALE MONDAY 4TH JULY AT 10.00AM

Cameron Mackintosh is delighted to present Andrew Lloyd Webber’s THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA at the Royal Albert Hall on Saturday 1st October at 7.30pm and Sunday 2nd October at 1.30pm and 7.00pm. Tickets for “Phantom of the Opera at the Albert Hall” go on sale on Monday 4 July at 10.00am and are available on 0845 401 5045 or at www.phantom25th.com.

This lavish, fully staged production of “Phantom of the Opera at the Albert Hall” will star Ramin Karimloo as ‘The Phantom’ and Sierra Boggess as ‘Christine’. They will be joined by Barry James as ‘Monsieur Firmin’, Gareth Snook as ‘Monsieur André’, Liz Robertson as ‘Madame Giry’ and Wynne Evans as ‘Piangi’ together with a cast and orchestra of over 200 and some special guest appearances.

“Phantom of the Opera at the Albert Hall” will be directed by Laurence Connor with Musical Staging and Choreography by Gillian Lynne. The Royal Albert Hall will be transformed with a spectacular and unique design by Matt Kinley inspired by Maria Björnson’s original design. Lighting is by Patrick Woodroffe and Andrew Bridge and Sound by Mick Potter. The original London production was directed by Hal Prince.

Ramin Karimloo’s theatre credits include, leading roles in “Love Never Dies” (2011 Olivier Award Nominee and Winner of the 2011 What’s On Stage Award, both for ‘Best Actor in a Musical’), “The Phantom of the Opera” (Theatre Goers’ Choice Award Nomination) “Les Misérables”, “Miss Saigon”, “The Pirates of Penzance” and “Sunset Boulevard”.

Ramin had the privilege of performing as ‘Enjolras’ in “Les Misérables – A Special Concert at Windsor Castle” to celebrate the centenary of the Entente Cordiale, in front of Her Majesty The Queen and also reprised the role for the 25th Anniversary celebration of “Les Misérables at The 02”. Recordings include: his own album “Within the Six Square Inch” and the première symphonic recording of “Love Never Dies”. Ramin has signed with a major label and is currently recording his first solo album.

Sierra Boggess is currently starring opposite Tyne Daly in the Broadway revival of Terrence McNally’s “Master Class”. Prior to that, she starred in Andrew Lloyd Webber’s “Love Never Dies” in the West End. For her performance as ‘Christine Daae,’ Sierra received a 2011 Olivier Award nomination for Best Actress in a Musical. Sierra’s other NY theatre credits include starring as the title character in the Broadway production of Disney’s “The Little Mermaid” (Drama Desk and Drama League nominations and Broadway.com award for Favourite Breakthrough Performance) and in the City Centre Encores! production of “Music in the Air”. She starred as ‘Christine’ in “Phantom – The Las Vegas Spectacular” and has been seen in the national tours of “Les Misérables” and “West Side Story”. Recordings include the Symphonic Recording of “Love Never Dies” and the Original Cast Album for Disney’s “The Little Mermaid”.

Sir Cameron Mackintosh said “It is amazing to think that the extraordinary success of The Phantom of the Opera is about to celebrate 25 years.

From the very first performance, audiences have fallen in love with the unique alchemy of Andrew Lloyd Webber’s gorgeous score and Maria Björnson’s fabulously beautiful design, so brilliantly staged by Hal Prince and Gillian Lynne.

The success of the show has become the stuff of theatrical legend so Andrew and I felt we  needed to create a really special performance to celebrate the 25th anniversary.

One of the great strengths of The Phantom of the Opera is that being set in an opera house, its production is totally theatrical. So we felt that there could be no better 19th Century theatrical auditorium in London for this occasion than the Royal Albert Hall. With its Victorian red plush and celebrated magnificent organ it is the perfect place for The Phantom to haunt. Though this special staging will naturally be drawn from the brilliant original, it will be both a spectacular and unique production with a cast and orchestra of over 200 headed by Ramin Karimloo and Sierra Boggess. Both artists have been an outstanding ‘Phantom’ and ‘Christine’ in recent productions and have also enjoyed huge success together as the stars of Love Never Dies.

I have no doubt that these three performances at the Royal Albert Hall will be a thrilling celebration of the Music of the Night.”

THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA became the longest running show in Broadway history on 9 January 2006 when it celebrated its 7,486th performance, surpassing the previous record holder “Cats”. This coincided with the Broadway and the US national touring company celebrating an unprecedented 20,000 performances in the United States. In October 2010 the London production celebrated its 10,000th performance.

THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA has won over 50 major theatre awards, including seven Tonys on Broadway and three Olivier Awards in the West End. It won the ‘Most Popular Musical Audience Award’, voted by the public, in the 2002 Laurence Olivier Awards. THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA, which opened at Her Majesty’s Theatre on 9 October 1986 starred Michael Crawford as ‘The Phantom’ and Sarah Brightman as ‘Christine.’ It is produced by Cameron Mackintosh and The Really Useful Theatre Company Limited.

Worldwide, THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA has grossed over £3.2 billion. The box office revenues are higher than any film or stage play in history, including “Titanic”, “ET” and “Star Wars”. It has been seen in 145 cities in 27 countries and played to over 100 million people. THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA is currently showing in London, New York, Budapest, Las Vegas, and Kyoto.

48 Responses to The Phantom of the Opera at the Royal Albert Hall

1. Jen says:

Will this be filmed for later showing?

• susan says:

this will be filmed. it will be shown in cinemas mid October (in Australia anyway)

2. Sean says:

Please tell us that this will be filmed.

3. Elaine Harrison says:

Will the Phantom of the Opera, Royal Albert Hall 25th annerversary performance be shown live at cinemas around the country, similiar to the Lee Mis performance at the o2 in London. ???
    kind regards mrs E Harrison

• jennifer says:

I dont know but I really hope so as that was a fantastic way to bring west end theatre outside london – I really I was there, especially at the start when you could see the audience arriving into the 02 at the same time – and the cinema was a sell out so not just us who thought it was great idea!

• Tony Cooper says:

I hope so, Les Mis was amazing experience for those of us “up North” and unable to get to O2

• Jimmy Stubbs says:

Yes it will be screened on Sunday 2 October – i know that Vue cinemas are showing it but tickets are not on sale yet

• herman says:

Hi,

I have tickets too see this Amazing night LIVE from our big Kinepolis-ciné here in Belgium.
      Its also too buy on dvd, from 4th november and i have also already my expl in pre-order ;-) )

4. Andrew says:

Here’s hoping this event will be recorded for eventual CD release? Please.

• herman says:

Hi

yes you can also buy the CD from the 4th November.

GRTZ

5. Emma says:

Just got tickets for this and can’t wait to see it again. The phantom is superb and what a wonderful place to see it at the Albert Hall.

6. Angie Bishop says:

I have been waiting for the tickets to be on sale and have been lucky enough to get some – I can’t wait as have seen POHO 26 times! Royal Albert Hall will be a wonderful venue for this event

7. Arantxa Álvarez says:

For all who asked: YESS! The 25th anniversaire will be filmed on DVD :)

• paul says:

Were you hear or read about it being filmed for dvd??

• Anna says:

Were did you read about this? I like being able to keep the memory alive :)

8. Faith says:

Hi there!
    It’s all pretty nice, would love to see it on DVD, but who will be playing Raoul???

9. Alyse says:

As a resident of the US, I will not have the opportunity to see this show… As a lifelong Phantom Phan, I do sincerely hope that a DVD recording of the 25th anniversary will be made available for purchase…

Here’s to hoping!

-A

• Anna says:

I also live in the US and wouldn’t be able to go see it. I have been a Phan since this musical was introduced to me, and I hope there is some way that those who aren’t able to be there can share in the celebration! Les Miserables has filmed both the 10th and 25th anniversary and I love them for that. The 25th of Le Mis was another celebration that I would not have been able to make, but becaue it was filmed I now have the ability to watch over and over… which I do:) And it kills me to think that I would be missing a chance to see Ramin Karimloo on stage instead of just on youtube video clips :(

10. Stefan says:

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE…

Release the concert on Blu-ray and DVD!!!

11. Lisa Lopez says:

I’ll do anything to go to London from the U.S. to see the fabulous performances of Ramin and Sierra! I saw them in London and it would be completing the full circle seeing them perform live Love Never Dies AND the Phantom. I hope you guys release a lot of production tickets so there’s a chance to go to London again from the United States.
    If there’s no tickets available, you MUST film the dvd and broadcast live like Les Mis. You would make tons of money on that from the whole world!

Please, please, please film it!!!! Thank you!!

12. Tony Cooper says:

2 questions, will it be shown live in Cinemas (if so which ones) will it be available on BLUray

13. Lady Orihime says:

Among the MILLIONS praying to God that this will be available on DVD/BD!!!

14. barbara says:

YES!! We need a DVD from this performance. ;P And moreee… from Love never dies with ‎Ramin Karimloo and Sierra Bogges ;P

15. Anna says:

Another one of those crazy Phan’s that do not have the opportunity to see it on stage, but hope they can at least be able to watch it on film!!!!!!!

Please, Please, Please, Please, Please! :)

16. Natalie says:

Well, im now very depressed. Not only will i NOT be getting to see this, (and i’v never even gotten to see the stage production yet) but now i really will NEVER get to see Ramin Karimloo as the Phantom. I guess “According to an interview in The Stage magazine, this will be his last performance behind the mask.”.
    Sucky. Suckysuckysuckysuckysuckysucky AHHHHHHHH!!!!! Im going to freaking cry!!!!!!! I looooooove hiiiiiiiiiiiiiimmmmmmmmmmmmm.

17. Christine Schultz says:

I also hope that a DVD/CD will be made of this performance like that of 25th Les Miz. Viewing that DVD afforded me my first encounter with the enormous talent of Ramin Karimloo. I have never seen such a joyful and inspiring performance as his Enjolras! Those of you lucky enough to reside in the UK have been able to watch him grow as a performer in POTP, LND, Sunset Boulevard etc., and then experience his accommodating graciousness at the stage door where he treats his fans with sincere respect. I find the depth and diversity of his talent truly refreshing and look forward to one day sitting in his audience to hear his amazing voice sing to my soul. Ramin, thank you on behalf of all those lucky enough to be named CHRISTINE. Our name has never been spoken with such passion and pain…

• Christine Schultz says:

Just an addendum-Broadcasting the 25th anniversary of Les Miserables on Public Television generated a lot of revenue for that forum and exposed this showcase of extraordinary talent to a new audience. A DVD of this 25th anniversary celebration of Phantom of the Opera could do the same. It would seem to make perfect sense on a purely monetary level.

18. bowie says:

how come nobody from phantom/mackintosh/really useful is answering peoples questions ?

its obvious people just want to know two things -

confirmation of a dvd and/or cd recording?

confirm whether it will be live by satellite into cinemas?

this site is your marketing tool to connect with your customers so please dont ignore them.
    if you dont know the answers better to say you’re not sure yet than just ignore everyone !

• admin says:

As soon as we have any information to announce, you will find it on this website!

19. antony giuliano says:

the 25th anniversary concert will be shown live from the royal Albert hall in showcase cinemas in the uk on sunday 2nd October at 7pm!

20. Michele says:

Please show this in the US in cinemas as you did, Les Mis. We couldn’t be there, but would have given anything to have been. Then please, please make a DVD and release it. There are people all over the world who would buy this. It would not take away from the live versions still playing. Instead it would be a great marketing tool to advertise & encourage people to see the live performance. NOTHING can replace live theatre. This would give those who haven’t experienced it, a taste of the magic. If you doubt me, look to 10+ years ago when Michael Flatley sold out shows all over the world from a less than perfect DVD of Lord of the Dance. Everyone wanted to capture that magical feeling that suffused that audience. The DVD made him a multi millionaire & did not lessen the live show’s appeal one bit.

21. Anthony Forte says:

Please EMAIL me when the DVD and BLU-RAY comes available in the U.S.

Anthonyn Forte

22. Liam Fitzgerald says:

Can someone who knows PLEASE tell me if this is going to be the full stage version of POTO, finally released on DVD as I have always prayed it could be, or just some concert? I can’t seem to find out anywhere, but I’m suspecting we’re not being told either way so we assume it’s the full version and then people are infinitely more interested than they would be otherwise.

• Jack says:

If you read the article at the top of this page it states ……….. “This lavish, fully staged production of “Phantom of the Opera at the Albert Hall” … note where it says “fully staged”? :-)

23. Philip Rhodes says:

have got tickets to watch the live broadcast in manchester cant wait for sunday the 2nd october. and please please tell me there is going to be a national touring company of Phantom,not all of us can afford to travel to London!! I saw it 5 times when it was in machester last

24. MNealy says:

I’m just hoping that if there is a blu-ray/DVD that it will be made available in the US!

25. Lindsey Arsenault says:

What time is the anniversary going to be broadcasted on tv and what stations?

I have really wanted to see the show on stage live but so far has been unfortunate it not except through youtube!

26. Anna says:

Okay so can those in charge of this site let us US hopefuls know if this is going to be filmed? It kills me to know that there are tickets available for the production. I would never be able to afford to go see it… the travel, hotel, and the ticket cost, but I want to see it so bad!! A film would be all I have, my only opportunity to see it!!!!

Again, can you let all of us US hopefuls know as soon as you can? We are dieing to know if we will be included in the celebration!

Please… Please… Please……………..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• ken remo says:

will the phantom be televised in the u.s. like les miz was?

thankyou.

ken rewmo

27. Anna says:

So I just went to see the live broadcast at my local movie theater. I’m so glad my city was hosting it!!!! It was so amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I loved it:)

28. lyn menzies says:

Just received the dvd for christmas, but does this production have all the features included like the chandelier, etc? dont want to open it if not

29. barbara Igelsrud says:

Why wasn’t Gerard Butler invited to this anniversary special as many of the other phantoms were?

• Kat Glover says:

Because this is celebrating the stage musical, not the movie. Different mediums, different stars.

30. JACQUES KEMP says:

I LOVE THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA AND I WATCH IT OVER AND OVER ITS SUBLIME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

31. Pingback: The Birds | Cake In 15

32. Alan Phillips says:

Ramin Karimloo gave the best performance in a musical that I remember in many years! I was privelaged to see this production well over 20 years ago at the Chicago Theater. All the cast did a supurb job! I watched this on PBS and then watched the DVD 3 days later! Whatan amazing performance by all, but Ramin’s voice and performance sent chills down my spine! He was truly meant for this roll!

33. joan bryant says:

Please notify me when the dvd of Phantom is available commercially. (the Albert Hall production)
    I see that PBSstations are offering it as a membership perk.
    Thank you.

34. mary joe ryan says:

I have just seen the DVD of the 25th anniversary performance. Again I have been awed by the screenplay as well as the acting…but my all-time delight was in the introductions of previous actors and FLW himself. What a climax, to hear the blended voices of former stars and the current cast carrying the theme “over the top.” It was truly amazing!