Phantom’s 25th anniversary breaks cinema records

Live relays of The Phantom of the Opera 25th anniversary performances break cinema records

Early box office estimates show that the 25th anniversary gala performances of The Phantom of the Opera at the Royal Albert Hall, which were relayed live to cinemas worldwide this weekend, reached Number 1 at the UK box office on Sunday 2 October and Number 3 overall for the weekend.  This marks the biggest daily result and biggest lifetime result of any alternative content cinema release ever in the UK.

If you missed this weekend’s performances, go here for the latest information about purchasing the DVD, Blu-Ray and CD recordings of the event.

25 Responses to Phantom’s 25th anniversary breaks cinema records

1. Loretta says:

I saw the show at Tinseltown, Canton, Ohio. It was awesome. I can’t wqit for the dvd. Was so sorry that Micheal Crawford did not sing. That would have made it perfect.

• Susan says:

I saw it at Tinseltown, Fayetteville, GA. Probably on 50 people in attendance. I’m glad I happened up on the facebook site or I would have totally missed out! We wanted to applaud right along with the London audience. Some of us did, others didn’t. In our showing, the performance didn’t start until the rehearsal scene. The entire auction scene, we never saw..very disappointing as it sets the stage for the entire show IMO. Wonder what happened. We also would have like to heard Michael Crawford. Was something wrong with his voice or ?? But Sarah still shines!! Thanks for making this available! Sure was different. We still like the Vegas show the best-bar none!

• Wendy says:

I saw it in Mass… and it was sooo awesome. I thought the same thing about Michael Crawford. They said he just came from the Palladian so he must have been singing there and had to rest his voice??? It was so great though!

• Debbie says:

I saw the show on Sun. OMG it was INCREDIBLE. This performance was the 4th time seeing it for me & it certainly won’t be my last.

This is wishful thinking on my part, but wouldn’t it be something if Michael & Sarah reprise their roles for the anniversary?

I cannot wait for the DVD.

2. Denise says:

Fantastic news, well done! Sadly even though I bought tickets to see it in the cinema I couldn’t go so I’m desperately hoping it will be screened in cinemas again, maybe before the dvd is released. I imagine if it broke records it’s a good idea to show it again in Ireland and the UK.

3. Anna Calabrese says:

A very special show…thanks Mr.Crawford and Mr. LLoyd Webber and the Team.

4. Maggie says:

I was in the hall last night, I’m not surprised it was such a success in cinemas too. I intend to go and see it if it’s still on at my local Vue.

5. Linda says:

For months I had been planning to see this on my birthday Oct 2 and what an awesome birthday treat it turned out to be!!!! Would love to have seen it live at Royal Albert Hall in London, but seeing it at the cinema in Altamonte Springs, Florida allowed for camera closeups of the performers faces…the emotion and passion on their faces was mesmerizing!!! I will definitely buy the DVD and I hope to see “Love Never Dies” someday.

6. Kathy Carberry says:

I saw it at my local theater in Chicago. I loved every minute of it. Beautiful music, haunting story, and brilliant performances, all made the show memorable. I can’t wait for the DVD and CD to be released.

7. Cassandra says:

I saw it in Burbank, CA and it was awesome. I brought a friend who had never seen it and she said it was spectacular. I can’t wait to own it on DVD.

8. Phil M says:

watched the performance from the cinema in Cwmbran, Wales, UK, loved every minute of it, absolutly fantastic!!!!!

9. Rodil L. Roberto says:

I have seen the stage presentation at Her Majesty’s Theatre in London back in 1999 and have seen the silver screen version a few years ago and it’s always been a delight to see it over and over and here came the Live Performance at the London’s Royal Albert Hall yesterday (2 October 2011). I now live in Seattle, WA and was there in the cinema to join the people worldwide at 11 am (Pacific Time) beamed via satellite to witness this once in a lifetime event… Thanks to the technology. This was an awesome event and the performance really moved me and having seen Andrew Lloyd Webber on stage at the end performance is a rare opportunity!

10. Erik says:

I saw a screening at Bloomfield Cinemas in Bloomfield, CT. It was absolutely AMAZING! I second Loretta, I would have loved to hear Micheal sing, but maybe he wasn’t feeling well?

11. Susan Mrll says:

My daughter Emma, and I saw this amazing performance at cineworld Castleford, truly wonderful. Got such a buzy I couldn’t sleep til after 1am. Cant wait for the dvd either. xx

12. Elisabeth says:

It is easy to understand! It was so phantastic! What a cast! Ramin Karimloo and Sierra Boggess are outstanding! There is nothing moore to say! A memory for the rest of my life!

13. Meggie says:

It was soooooooo amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ramin was soooooooooooooooo good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! love him! Sierra was amazing too. Saw her as the little mermaid, my fav princess! I cried soo bad cant wait to buy the c and movie

14. Letty says:

I saw the performance at the AMC Newport on the Levee in Kentucky. It was just as good as being at the actual show. I’m torn over which one I preferred. :-)

It was also great seeing the original cast members Sarah Brightman and Michael Crawford at the 25th anniversary performance. It brought back a flood of memories.

Loved it!

15. Teresa says:

We saw the show in Royal Palm Beach, Florida-absolutely AMAZING!!! We can’t wait to see it again in repeats-it really was fabulous!!!

16. Christine Schultz says:

Andrew Lloyd Webber and Cameron MacIntosh placed this musical masterpiece in the hands, hearts, and voices of an amazing cast that sang to our hearts and let our spirits take soar. What an honor to be united in time to countless people across the globe as we viewed history in the making. Ramin Karimloo’s talent seems limitless and captured the angst of a tortured soul yearning to be loved. The chemistry between the three major cast members was a joy to behold and an experience to cherish. Thank you for allowing us this golden opportunity. I do hope that the DVD will include all the playful moments of Ramin, Sierra and Hadley after the finale. As the credits rolled, I could hear laughter from the RAH audience and word has it that the Ramin literally through Hadley out for a final bow and then carried Sierra off the stage. The geniune affection that they have for each other should live on as part of the DVD.

17. Sharra says:

If I had realized it was going to be broadcast, I would have found a way to watch! I remember seeing Michael Crawford singing the Phantom on Broadway, so I hope to get the soundtrack from this version too so I can compare!

18. Angie Bishop says:

I feel so privileged to have been in the audience at the RAH on both Saturday and Sunday evening performances – it was the event of a lifetime. Sunday night was made even better by the appearance on stage of Michael Crawford! Ramin and Sierra were both amazing as always and this event will stay in my memory forever. I will look forward to watching the film when it is broadcast again. Thank you Andrew Lloyd Webber for such wonderful music.

19. Veerle Mous says:

I watched the show from the cinema at Antwerp, Belgium. I was really blown away by it! The music, the cast, the set, everything was superb; I loved it!

20. Kathleen says:

I saw the LIVE performance in Federal Way, Washington, USA, and was so moved by the production that I went back to see 2 of the 3 encore performances. I would have gone to all of them, but I had a class that night! I took a coworker friend of mine to the last encore, and she loved it…she had seen it when Michael Crawford was the Phantom. I knew Ramin was extremely talented from seeing him on DVD in the 25th Anniversary Concert of Les Mis, but was completely swept away by him as the Phantom. Sierra’s voice was so beautiful and flawless, and Hadley Fraser, wow, what an excellent Raoul. Everyone was excellent, I’ve never seen such emotion, beauty, and sexiness before. I have seen it twice on the stage, both in Seattle, Washington, and loved them, but this performance was the best! I was so disappointed to hear that Love Never Dies closed in London. I am wishing a production will come to the US after Australia. Thank you for the loveliest experience I’ve had in a long timeQ

21. Bella says:

Beautiful! Such a stunning show and seeing it celebrated this way was an absolute highlight! Sierra and Ramin were exceptional (as always) however…

the absolute best part was seeing Anthony Warlow on stage as Phantom! Words cannot describe how many Aussies would love to see him reprise his role, myself included!

Simply beautiful, thank you ALW. You are a master

22. Cecilia Salazar says:

My son of 10 years old went to go see the musical with me and he LOVED IT as mcuh as I did. I was just what was the reason the Michael Crawford didn’t sing with Sarah on the 25th Anniversary special?