Phantom in New York proudly welcomes two great Broadway stars this May

Norm & Sierra

TONY AWARD NOMINEE NORM LEWIS IN HIS DEBUT AS ‘THE PHANTOM’ & BROADWAY AND WEST END STAR SIERRA BOGGESS RETURNING AS ‘CHRISTINE’

Broadway’s Box Office Phenomenon has played an unprecedented 26 Years and is nearing 11,000 Performances

Producers Cameron Mackintosh and The Really Useful Group announced today that the longest-running show in Broadway history, Andrew Lloyd Webber’s THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA, directed by Harold Prince, will proudly welcome a starry leading combination beginning Monday, May 12.  On that date, Tony Award nominee Norm Lewis, who most recently triumphed in the legendary role of Porgy in The Gershwin’s Porgy and Bess, will return to Broadway in another legendary role as The Phantom.  On that same date, Broadway and West End star Sierra Boggess, who received tremendous acclaim starring as Christine Daaé in both the musical’s London 25th Anniversary production at Royal Albert Hall and the Broadway 25th Anniversary cast last year, will return to the role in the New York production.

Cameron Mackintosh said, “Having worked with Norm since the 90s, when he played John in Miss Saigon on Broadway, and then Javert on Broadway in Les Misérables in 2006, I couldn’t be more thrilled that he is now joining PHANTOM, matched with Sierra – one of the finest Christines ever.  It’s hard to imagine a more exciting pairing, as the show continues its phenomenal, history-making run at The Majestic.”

“This is wonderful news!” said Andrew Lloyd Webber.  “I can’t wait to see Sierra Boggess and Norm Lewis perform together as Christine and Phantom.  Broadway audiences are in for a treat.”

One of this generation’s most acclaimed Broadway leading men, Norm Lewis earned 2012 Tony, Drama Desk, Drama League and Outer Critics Circle award nominations and considerable acclaim for his starring performance in The Gershwin’s Porgy and Bess.  His history with Cameron Mackintosh includes starring as Javert in the 2006 Broadway reimagining of Les Misérables and stretches back to making his Broadway debut as John in Miss Saigon.  In 2010, he was invited to play Javert in both the original record-breaking West End production of Les Misérables and the all-star 25th Anniversary Concert at London’s 02 Arena.  He’s also starred on Broadway in Sondheim on Sondheim, The Little Mermaid, Chicago and the cult classic Side Show, as well as appearing in Amour, The Wild Party and The Who’s Tommy. Off-Broadway, he earned an AUDELCO Award and Drama Desk nomination for Desssa Rose and a Drama League nomination for The Two Gentlemen of Verona.

Mr. Lewis will become the first African-American performer to star as The Phantom in the New York production.  In 1990, the Tony Award nominee Robert Guillaume played the role when he succeeded original star Michael Crawford in the Los Angeles production.

Sierra Boggess’ unique history with the musical began when she was cast as one of the youngest actresses ever to play Christine Daaé, which she originated in the hit, revised Las Vegas production in 2006.  Her performances with the Vegas production and the recent London and New York 25th Anniversaries were greeted with spectacular acclaim.  For her special limited engagement with the New York company, she earned a Broadway.com Award.  Further cementing her claim with the PHANTOM family, the American performer in London originated the same role in Andrew Lloyd Webber’s musical sequel to THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA, Love Never Dies, earning her a 2011 Olivier Award nomination.  In 2011, Ms. Boggess also starred in the original record-breaking London production of Les Misérables as Fantine.  Her other starring Broadway credits include Terrence McNally’s Master Class and originating the title role in Disney’s The Little Mermaid (Drama Desk and Drama League nominations and Broadway.com Award for Favorite Breakthrough Performance).

Mr. Lewis and Ms. Boggess will be reuniting on Broadway for the first time since starring opposite each other in the original production of The Little Mermaid in 2008.

Mr. Lewis will succeed long-running, acclaimed Phantom Hugh Panaro.  Mr. Panaro’s long association with PHANTOM stretches back to 1989, when he first played the role of Raoul for almost 1,000 performances.  He was later invited to take over the starring role, first in 1999 and which he’s since done in four separate engagements, including the 25th Anniversary, for over 2,100 performances and counting.

20 Responses to Phantom in New York proudly welcomes two great Broadway stars this May

1. Gary Mack says:

Oh my god! I so wish I could fly to the big apple to see these two great actors perform,
    Any chance of a London run????

2. Shayla says:

What an amazing moment in Phantom history! Sierra and Norm will be such a marvelous match.

3. Alex says:

How long would Sierra be playing Christine?

4. Cayce says:

I’d love to see Sierra Boggess in “The Phantom of the Opera” again. Can y’all please keep her as Christine in “The Phantom of the Opera” for good this time?

5. Lucinda Yoder says:

Can’t wait, r u coming Michigan on this tour?

6. Lucy Haskell says:

I am so excited to be able to see ahd hear Norm Lewis as the Phantom. I think he has one of the finest voices on Broadway. No one better for this role. So very glad he is back on Broadway!!!!

7. Jen Malloy says:

When will they start? What dates should I buy tickets?

8. Bobby B says:

Any idea how long these two great stars will be performing? I will be coming from California but would like to know the timeframe of their performances. Thanks so much!

9. Pingback: And the Phantom/Les Mis Actor Crossovers Continue… | My Turn to Talk

10. Ruthie Lark says:

Please keep them on for a year! And bring Hadley Fraser to Broadway to play Raoul! He is the best and no one had chemistry with Sierra like Hadley did!

11. Pingback: Broadway News: Phantom Cast Changes | Bitches on Broadway

12. Maria Nehro says:

I´m planning a trip from Sweden, I would really love to hear Norm Lewis sing this role. But for how long will he do it? When is his last performance?

13. Liz says:

Next week I’m coming down to see the show, and I was wondering if Mr. Panaro was still there cause I want to get his autograph. I saw it for first time for my 13th birthday last year, and I want to get a chance to meet him before he leaves. I’m happy for both Norm Lewis and Sierra Boggess!!! I think they will make Mr. Panaro and the entire cast proud.

14. Doreen Vail says:

Looking forward to Norm Lewis and Sierra Boggess in May. Hopefully, there will be a dvd produced for all fans.

15. Julia says:

Sierra Boggess is perfection and my icon! Norm Lewis… speechless. Cant wait to see them together again as Phantom and Christine, spectacular.

16. Stephanie Dolor says:

Is Norm Lewis doing all performances as don’t want to buy tickets and see understudy.

17. Pingback: Celebrating My Birthday and Entertainment | An Entertaining Idea

18. Doreen Vail says:

When Norm Lewis was announced as the new Phantom in May it was stated he was the 13th Phantom. I have come up with the following: Hugh Panaro, Peter Joback, John Owen Jones, Ramin Karimloo, Colm Wilkerson, Aaron Tveit, Anthony Warlow–perhaps some of these actors were in Les Miserables not Phantom. The best for my taste is Daniel Kiek (I believe London cast)

Anyway, can someone name the 13 Phantoms for me?

Thank you.

19. Eva says:

For how long will miss Boggess and mr Lewis star in Phantom Broadway? Do you know which shows/weeks they´ll rest and if they have any planned holidays?

20. Pingback: ScoreBig.com Blog » The Phantom Of The Opera Tickets Guide – 5 Stars Who Performed