Phantom 25 on PBS ‘Great Performances’

Ramin KarimlooNORTH AMERICA

The Phantom Of The Opera at the Royal Albert Hall Celebrates the 25th Anniversary of Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Record-Breaking Hit with a Lavish Production, on THIRTEEN’s Great Performances in March on PBS

Ramin Karimloo and Sierra Boggess star in a spectacular presentation from the ornate London concert venue with a host of special guest stars at the conclusion

The Phantom of the Opera at the Royal Albert Hall, a fully-staged, lavish 25th anniversary mounting of Andrew Lloyd Webber’s long-running Broadway and West End extravaganza, comes to Great Performances in March (check local listings) on PBS.

To mark the musical’s Silver Anniversary, Andrew Lloyd Webber and Cameron Mackintosh presented “The Phantom of the Opera” in the sumptuous Victorian splendor of London’s Royal Albert Hall. International audiences were invited to join the celebration when the evening was transmitted live to cinemas worldwide. This dazzling restaging of the original production recreates the jaw-dropping scenery and breathtaking special effects of the original, set to Lloyd Webber’s haunting score.

The Phantom of the Opera at the Royal Albert Hall stars Ramin Karimloo as The Phantom and Sierra Boggess as Christine. Both had triumphed in the London premiere of “Love Never Dies,” Lloyd Webber’s sequel to “The Phantom of the Opera,” both earning prestigious Olivier Award nominations for their roles.

Karimloo and Boggess are joined by Barry James as Monsieur Firmin, Gareth Snook as Monsieur André, Liz Robertson as Madame Giry and Wynne Evans as Piangi, together with a cast and orchestra of more than 200 including special guest appearances by the original Phantom and Christine, Michael Crawford and Sarah Brightman. Illustrious Phantoms Peter Jöback, John Owen-Jones, Anthony Warlow, and Colm Wilkinson join forces for a powerful “Music of the Night,” all introduced by a beaming Lloyd Webber. Besides that hit tune, the show contains such favorites as “All I Ask of You,” “Think of Me,” “Prima Donna,” “Masquerade” and “Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again.”

Lloyd Webber’s “The Phantom of the Opera” first opened in 1986 at Her Majesty’s Theatre in London and is based on the French novel Le Fantôme de l’Opéra by Gaston Leroux. Set against the glamor and spectacle of the Paris Opera House, Leroux told of a horribly disfigured Phantom, once a promising musician, who now terrorizes the opera company. Shamed by his physical appearance and feared by all, the Phantom is drawn to the beautiful ingénue Christine Daaé and begins coaching her secretly, as a tragic romance unfolds between the unlikely pair.

Worldwide, “The Phantom of the Opera” has grossed over $5.6 billion. It has been seen in 145 cities in 27 countries and played to more than 130 million people. The show has won more than 50 major theatre awards, including seven Tony® and three Olivier® Awards in the West End. It is currently showing in London, New York, Budapest, Las Vegas and Kyoto. In 2006, it became Broadway’s longest running show ever.

Cast:

Sergei Polunin … Slave Master – Hannibal / Shepherd – Il Muto
Daisy Maywood … Meg Giry
Nick Holder … Joseph Buquet
Earl Carpenter … Auctioneer
Philip Griffiths… Monsieur Reyer
Simon Green … Monsieur Lefevre
Stephen Davis … Don Attilio (“Il Muto”)
Garðar Cortes … Passarino (“Don Juan Triumphant”)
Heather Jackson … Madame Firmin
Ellen Jackson … Wardrobe Mistress
Rosemary Ashe… Confidante (“Il Muto”)

The Phantom of the Opera at the Royal Albert Hall was directed by Laurence Connor with musical staging and choreography by Gillian Lynne, based on the original London Production Directed by Hal Prince with Musical Staging and Choreography by Gillian Lynne. The Royal Albert Hall was transformed with a spectacular and unique design by Matt Kinley inspired by Maria Björnson’s original design. Lighting was by Patrick Woodroffe and Andrew Bridge and Sound by Mick Potter. The production was produced by Cameron Mackintosh.

The Phantom of the Opera at the Royal Albert Hall was directed for television by Nick Morris.

The fully-staged production will be released on Blu-ray™, DVD and On Demand by Universal Studios Home Entertainment on February 7.

THIRTEEN’s Great Performances is a production of THIRTEEN for WNET, one of America’s most prolific and respected public media providers. For nearly 50 years, WNET has been producing and broadcasting national and local arts programming to the New York community.

For Great Performances, Bill O’Donnell is series producer; David Horn is executive producer. Great Performances is funded by Vivian Milstein, The Starr Foundation, the Philip and Janice Levin Foundation, Joseph A. Wilson, public television viewers, and PBS.

Visit Great Performances Online at www.pbs.org/gperf for additional information about this and other programs.

The Phantom Of The Opera at the Royal Albert HallCelebrates the 25th Anniversary of Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Record-Breaking Hit with a Lavish Production, on THIRTEEN’s Great Performances in March on PBS

Karimloo and Boggess are joined by Barry James as Monsieur Firmin, Gareth Snook as Monsieur André, Liz Robertson as Madame Giry and Wynne Evans as Piangi, together with a cast and orchestra of more than 200 including special guest appearances by the original Phantom and Christine, Michael Crawford and Sarah Brightman. Illustrious past Phantoms Peter Jöback, John Owen-Jones, Anthony Warlow, and Colm Wilkinson join forces for a powerful “Music of the Night,” all introduced by a beaming Lloyd Webber. Besides that hit tune, the show contains such favorites as “All I Ask of You,” “Think of Me,” “Prima Donna,” “Masquerade” and “Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again.”

Cast:

Sergei Polunin … Slave Master – Hannibal / Shepherd – Il Muto
Daisy Maywood … Meg Giry
Nick Holder … Joseph Buquet
Earl Carpenter … Auctioneer
Philip Griffiths… Monsieur Reyer
Simon Green … Monsieur Lefevre
Stephen Davis … Don Attilio (“Il Muto”)
Garðar Cortes … Passarino (“Don Juan Triumphant”)
Heather Jackson … Madame Firmin
Ellen Jackson … Wardrobe Mistress
Rosemary Ashe… Confidante (“Il Muto”)

26 Responses to Phantom 25 on PBS ‘Great Performances’

1. Marit Rawley says:

Worth watching! Espeically on PBS where they have wonderful programs.

• nancy eisele says:

At the very end, why did we not hear Michael Crawford sing Music of the Night? After all, he IS the Phantom of the Opera

• Judy Baker says:

On 2 October 2011, Crawford made a special appearance during the finale of The Phantom of the Opera at the Royal Albert Hall — a fully staged production of the musical at the famous London venue — marking 25 years since the show received its world premiere. Although reunited with original Christine, Sarah Brightman, Crawford did not sing as he had just finished performing in a matinee of The Wizard of Oz at the London Palladium…So undoubtly he had to rest his voice for his next performance.

• Misha says:

If matine was THE problem, couldn’t they somehow make an agreement, arrangements, anything? I mean, it is not every day that you record a historical video that will be seen by millions and even generations to come; and they knew about this (dates and all that) in advance… So I don’t buy the matinee story…

And I can tell you what my mum said when she saw the show on DVD and on YouTube (and she is almost the age of Michael Crawford)… She said it was an injustice done to Michael, as well as to the audience, as Mr Webber didn’t give Mr Crawford the chance to talk and interact with the audience. Michael was only “shown” to the public; his emotions are soooo visible, as well as crowd’s response, and it is a real injustice that Michael was not given a chance to interact.

When Michael entered, or when dear Ramin showed how gratefull they all were, or when in the final moments Michael waved and instantly the whole audience almost cried (and the lights were unfortunately turned away from Michael instantly), those were the moments we could see how much everyone wished Michael at least talk to them…

(Sorry for my broken English…)

Next time I visit UK it will be to come and see the Phantom. Yes, it will cost me my monthly salary (salaries are low in Serbia), but it is worth the expense!

And, if anyone read this, please consider visiting Belgrade (Serbia, Yugoslavia). Maybe the show can be played in “Sava Centar” (cinema and congress hall, built for the Non Aligned Movement conference back in the days…). (6.000 seats)
          …Or even in Belgrade Arena? (24.000-28.000 seats)

• Denise says:

I so agree…he IS the Phantom! His voice was what I heard as a newbe to the opera. It will always be known as his voice… I hope his voice will carry on.

2. Mike Lefebvre says:

It would only be fitting to see and hear Michael Crawford have a solo number after the show’s conclusion. As amazing as it was, was, why wasn’t Michael “given” a bigger part? Was it due to the producers or Michael perhaps? Regardless, that was the only element really making that encore a 100% score. Putting all that side, the show and conclusion afterwards was amazing!

3. Jerry Cohen says:

Absolutely outstanding, breathtaking performance of perhaps the most maagnificent musical ever composed.. Kudos to LloydWeber

4. cris says:

Why didn’t Michael Crawford sing for the finale? Was he ill? Has he lost his voice? It really was the only thing missing.

5. Hilary says:

Fantastic performances by Ramin Karimlooo and Sierra Boggesss. I particularly enjoyed Ramin’s “younger” portrayal of The Phantom – it added a great deal, in my opinion, to the romance and to the pathos of this wonderful performance. Ramin says he would return (for a short time, I note) to Canada – if we wanted him.
    That would really be something to look forward to.
    I have the “Highlights” from the original performance of The Phantom, with Michael Crawford. and, while I was pleased to see him make a guest appearance, it seems obvious to me that, since he was celebrating his 70th Birthday, it was probably wiser that he did not sing.

• Judy Baker says:

On 2 October 2011, Crawford made a special appearance during the finale of The Phantom of the Opera at the Royal Albert Hall — a fully staged production of the musical at the famous London venue — marking 25 years since the show received its world premiere. Although reunited with original Christine, Sarah Brightman, Crawford did not sing as he had just finished performing in a matinee of The Wizard of Oz at the London Palladium.

• Diane says:

Completely agree!

• Kuba says:

Yikes!! I remember ihctawng the movie.. and boy was I creeped out! I really did not like phantom of the opera at ALL. However, hearing you describe it in that way (though I still don’t like many parts) I am beginning to see it in another light. I thought it was a terribly sad movie, and I did not like the Phantom at all. Ok, enough of my ranting. ;) I’m sure that it was wonderful to see it on stage!! :) Now, do me a favor and sing my favorite song for your family (oh, they are gonna love me for this! haha!) “Think of Me”. I love that one. :) Love ya! Sarah

• Raejean says:

The movie was garbage in comparison to this performance. Watch it with the English subtitles turned on and you will understand plot elements you never did before.

And I agree with all of the rest of the posters that the ONLY thing sorely missing from the 25th tribute was Michael Crawford singing. I wish so much that he had!

6. Hilary says:

Replied – see comment No.6 on PBS “Great Performances”

7. Kathy says:

I also was so disappointed when Michael Crawford did not sing. I saw him in the Phantom of the Opera 25 yrs ago and to this day it still gives me goose bumps remembering him on stage. He was absolutely phenomenal!! All the actors and actresses were excellent but there is only one true Phantom and that is Michael Crawford.

8. Kathy says:

I also was truly disappointed not to hear Michael Crawford sing. I saw him as the Phantom 25 yrs ago. Still gives me goose bumps just remembering him on stage. He was truly phenomenal.
    Kudos to all the actors and actresses that have performed in the Phantom but there is only one true Phantom of the Opera and that is Michael Crawford.

9. Kevin M. says:

What a wonderful way to spend a Friday evening.

10. Hilary says:

Thank you for the opportunity to see this lavish production of “The Phantom” again tonight.

11. Kathleen Antalek says:

What an amazing, beautiful performance. The voices were superb and. the scenery gorgeous. Gave me goosebumps!

12. Hilary says:

Second viewing last night – just as enthralling

13. Marit Rawley says:

Watch it for the fourth time. I couldn’t get enough of it. Thank you Andrew Lloyd Webber for bring this beautiful haunting love story.

14. Diane says:

I think it was probably wise of Michael not to sing at the 25th anniversary, especially since Sarah seems to have received a lot of negative feedback on her performance! However, they missed a CLASSIC opportunity to bring the audience to its knees……they just had to have him join with the others when they told “Christine” to “sing for me….”. He only had to speak that line! What a moment that would have been!
    (But, oh boy, isn’t Ramin great?!!!).

15. Frederick says:

I’m certain it was Crawford’s decision not to sing. In fact, I’m so glad for the dignified and triumphant manner in which the event concluded. Bravo!

16. Samantha says:

This was possibly the best way to spend my night. Alone in my room, mesmerized by the tv. I’ve never really been a tv kind of girl, but when I saw they were airing POTO on PBS, my eyes were glued. Everyone did such a excellent job, and I LOVED the way they portrayed the phantom. Still a child at heart; he never had the chance to grow while living under his fear, and it shows greatly in Ramin’s performance. For the first time ever, I actually wanted Christine to go with Raoul! Hadley certainly does a spectacular job, and I can honestly say that in All I Ask Of You; that kiss was one of the best scenes of the movie. I cannot leave out wonderful Sierra’s performance either. What an amazing voice and such modesty between all of them. What a honor it must have been; as a violinist myself, I can only dream of the day I’ll be able to play in phantom of the opera; or at least see it live! I’ll be the first 19 year old in Maryland to proudly say that Phantom is, and always will be, my favorite production. Bravo :)

17. Sue says:

Wonderful performance however ——– the Phantom died the last time I saw Michael in it. I saw it in London several times then in New York each month he was in it and have never seen it without him. His voice is the Phantom and always will be and without even a word the whole thing was lacking. Such a shame and what a disappointment. He could have spoken without singing. Was it all due to the Lloyd Weber feud. I think the public is owed an explanation.

18. Jeff Sampson says:

Is Phantom going to be touring in the United States in 2013?