Full casting announced for Phantom UK tour

UK: Full casting announced for Cameron Mackintosh’s spectacular new production of Andrew Lloyd Webber’s The Phantom of the Opera unveiled at the Theatre Royal Plymouth

Cameron Mackintosh announced today full casting for the spectacular new production of Andrew Lloyd Webber’s THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA premiering at the Theatre Royal Plymouth in March 2012, with previews from 27 February.

Simon Bailey will star as ‘Raoul’, Angela M. Caesar as ‘Carlotta’, Andy Hockley as ‘Monsieur Firmin’, Simon Green as ‘Monsieur Andre’, Elizabeth Marsh as ‘Madame Giry’, Vincent Pirillo as ‘Ubaldo Piangi’, Hannah Cadec as ‘Meg Giry’ and Olivia Brereton as ‘Christine’ at certain performances. They join the previously announced John Owen-Jones and Earl Carpenter, who will share the role of ‘The Phantom’ and Katie Hall who will play the role of ‘Christine’. See below for the full tour schedule with casting details and on sale dates.

Simon Bailey’s West End credits include ‘Lieutenant Torrasso/Count Ludovic’ in “Passion” at the Donmar Warehouse, ‘Raoul’ in “The Phantom of the Opera” at Her Majesty’s Theatre, ‘Enjolras’ in “Les Miserables” at the Queen’s Theatre,Britney’ in “We Will Rock You” at the Dominion Theatre and ‘Pharaoh’ in “Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat” at the New London Theatre. Simon is also a founder member of ‘Theatreland’s First Supergroup’ Teatro. Angela M. Caesar’s West End credits include ‘The Moon’ in “Caroline, or Change” at the National Theatre. Andy Hockley’s theatre credits include ‘Rudolph Reisenweber’ in “Hello Dolly” at Regent’s Park Open Air Theatre, ‘Marcellus’ in “The Music Man” at Chichester Festival Theatre and ‘The Chaplain’ in “Mother Courage and Her Children” at the National Theatre. Television credits include “Life On Mars”, “Heartbeat”, “Emmerdale” and “Doctors”. Simon Green’s West End credits include ‘Jules/Bob Greenberg’ in “Sunday In The Park With George” at the Wyndham’s Theatre, ‘Lumiere’ in Disney’s “Beauty and the Beast” at the Dominion Theatre, ‘Young Ben’ in “Follies” at the Shaftesbury Theatre and ‘Torasso’ in “Passion” at the Queen’s Theatre. Simon has also appeared in ‘The Phantom of the Opera’ at Her Majesty’s Theatre, and as ‘Monsieur Lefevre’ in the recent 25th Anniversary celebrations of “Phantom of the Opera at the Royal Albert Hall”. Elizabeth Marsh’s recent credits include ‘Myra Yerkes’ in the European premiere of Stephen Sondheim’s “Road Show” at the Menier Chocolate Factory, “Sleeping Beauty” at the Birmingham Rep, and “Afterlife” and “The Threepenny Opera” at the National Theatre. Vincent Pirillo recently appeared in “Sweeney Todd” at Chichester Festival Theatre. Other recent credits include ‘Mr Goodfellow’ in “Inherit the Wind” at The Old Vic, ‘Rabbi’ in “Imagine This” at the New London Theatre, ‘Rabbi/Avram’ in “Fiddler on the Roof” at the Savoy Theatre, ‘Signal Man’ in “The Woman in White” at the Palace Theatre and ‘Grandfather’ in “Ragtime” at the Piccadilly Theatre. Olivia Brereton recently graduated from the Guildhall School of Acting where she appeared in ‘The Light in the Piazza’, Into the Woods’ and ‘The Boyfriend’. ‘The Phantom of the Opera’ marks Olivia’s professional debut.

The company also includes Alistair Barron, Rosie Bell, James Bisp, Greg Castiglioni, Cindy Corinne Ciunfrini, Caroline Crawley, Rachel Crocker, Michael Diana, Liesl Dowsett, A C Garcia, Hannah Grace, Henry Grant Kerswell, Sam Harrison, Sophie Hartley, Kirk Jameson, Sarah Joyce, Lauren Lotz, Lee Ormsby, Siani Owen, David Phipps-Davis, Claire Platt, James Pullum, Leigh Rhianon Coggins, Emma Roberts-Simms, Ben Sleep and Richard Woodford.

This spectacular new production is directed by Laurence Connor, with choreography by Scott Ambler, Set Design by Paul Brown, Costume Design by Maria Björnson, Lighting Design by Paule Constable with Video and Projection Design by Nina Dunn for Knifedge, Sound Design by Mick Potter and Musical Supervision by John Rigby.  The production is overseen by Matthew Bourne and Cameron Mackintosh.

THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA became the longest running show in Broadway history on 9 January 2006 when it celebrated its 7,486th performance, surpassing the previous record holder “Cats”.  This coincided with the Broadway and the US national touring company celebrating an unprecedented 20,000 performances in the United States. In October 2010 the London production celebrated its 10,000th performance.

THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA has won over 60 major theatre awards, including seven Tonys on Broadway and three Olivier Awards in the West End.  It won the ‘Most Popular Musical Audience Award’, voted by the public, in the 2002 Laurence Olivier Awards.  THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA, which opened at Her Majesty’s Theatre on 9 October 1986 starred Michael Crawford as ‘The Phantom’ and Sarah Brightman as ‘Christine.’ It is produced by Cameron Mackintosh by arrangement with The Really Useful Group.

Worldwide, THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA has grossed over £3.2 billion. The box office revenues are higher than any film or stage play in history, including “Titanic”, “ET”, “Star Wars” and “Avatar”. It has been seen in 145 cities in 27 countries and played to over 130 million people.  THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA is currently showing in London, New York, Budapest, Las Vegas, and Kyoto.

www.thephantomoftheoperatour.com

LEEDS GRAND THEATRE
John Owen-Jones as The Phantom
Box Office 0844 848 2706 | www.leedsgrandtheatre.com
ON SALE NOW

19 SEPTEMBER – 20 OCTOBER 2012
EDINBURGH PLAYHOUSE
John Owen-Jones as The Phantom (19 – 29 September)
Earl Carpenter as The Phantom (1 – 20 October)
Box Office 0844 847 1660 | www.edinburghplayhouse.org.uk

Earl Carpenter as The Phantom
Box Office 02380 711 811 | www.mayflower.org.uk
ON SALE 30 JANUARY 2012

FURTHER DATES TO BE ANNOUNCED

30 Responses to Full casting announced for Phantom UK tour

1. Katherine Griffiths says:

I wish that some of these touring shows could come to Kent. We have some great theatres such as the Orchard in Dartford, The Marlow in Canterbury and the Hazlit in Maidstone

2. Berrett says:

So are they ditching the falling chandelier like in the RAH production, that sucked! Kind of an important element.

3. Angie Bishop says:

I agree that this touring production must have the falling chandelier as that is such an exciting part of the show and at the beginning when being raised above the audience’s heads it brings the show to life. I can understand why that could not happen in the RAH production and I felt very privileged to be there but it was the only disappointing element of that otherwise wonderful event.

• Noorfarzana says:

My CDs arievrd on Friday fabulous, brings tears to my eyes just remembering being there but why’s Sarah Brightman singing Phantom of the Opera not on it? That was an amazing part of the show.My postman has let me down DVDs not arievrd yet. Can’t wait

4. Antony says:

I can understand why theres going to be no chandelier falling/raising because you cannot do this in a theatre that hasn’t been adapted like her majestys simply for safety reasons! I still think this is going to be a good version of the show regardless of not having a chandelier crash but if you want a chandelier crash i suggest you see the production in London!

5. Laura says:

if the chandalier scene is causing concerns about health and safety, then I HIGHLY recommend that the tour must include the Liverpool Empire theatre; the last time Phantom toured (several years ago) the theatre adapted the auditorium to hold the chandalier’s rigging – in fact, the holes from where the rigging was held are still visible to this day, as the theatre refuses to fix them, just in case Phantom ever came back!!
    Also, in recent years, they have extended the stage and backstage areas to accommodate large touring shows such as Phantom and the auditorium itself is still as beautiful as ever. A perfect setting for Phantom!
    *at this point I wish to point out that I do NOT work for the Liverpool Empire, merely a regular guest.*

• Christina says:

I also hope the Phantom comes to the Liverpool Empire, had the joy of seeing it in london a few months ago and found it to be one of the most amazing things i have ever experianced.

• claire says:

Liverpool March 2013

6. Angie Bishop says:

Yes I remember the UK tour several years ago and the falling chandelier was exactly like the London production – that was at Bristol Hippodrome. Obviously health and safety issues have changed since then. I have seen the London production 25 times and that tour was exactly the same as London which I did not expect so was pleasantly surprised. I might add that the RAH was a truly wonderful production and the chandelier with fireworks did look spectacular on the film / DVD so I will look forward to this tour no matter what.

7. christine says:

dont worry phantom is coming to thr empire late 2012 or early 2013 so we will be able to see falling lamps we were at the empire last night to see south pacfic great show and yes the holes are still there

8. Roger & Catherine Walker says:

We can’t believe a first-rate production of Phantom won’t include the falling chandelier. It is such an iconic moment and really defines the show. Could understand it not happening at R.A.H., but why in major theatres throughout the country. It happened OK on the previous tour. Why not now?

9. Robert Sherratt says:

Well Well Well – I’m looking forward to the new production (Front row circle Manchester May 2012) I have seen the last Manchester tour @20 yrs ago & the London show last year – both fantastic, so a new slant should be very exciting. These guys don’t muck about – so stop bitching about something that you have not seen yet & give it the chance that it deserves.. ;-)

• Joan says:

You will love it! We went on Thursday 12th and sat at the back of the circle. Missed the stuff on the gantry which was a bit of a disappointment but we did see the chandelier sort of swinging a bit
      ;-) . However, it’s the story and the wonderful singing that I wanted to see and hear and we were not disappointed. Wish we were going again!

10. alison says:

this is the best I am a big fan of Phantom of the Oprea. I love oprea I saw the show live and at the cinema, I loved seeing Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber

11. Daniel Fotheringham says:

So looking forward to Phantom. I remember on christmas day we were watching the 25th anniversary and my mum said “We’ve got a good phantom” and also, I don’t care about chandelier debate.Why does it has to fall when actually I preferred it when it bursted into flames? come on guys. They’ll always need to update the show.

12. Natalia says:

Newcastle, or somewhere around the North East, please!

13. Aimee says:

Please come to the North East of England!!!

14. david lowther says:

Not many images of the touring show coming out….but what i’ve seen looks a tad diappointing….what’s with the phantom’s hair and mask…when they toured sunset boulevard it was rubbish…it needed the spectacle of the original….and this does more so…it wasn’t broke…don’t try to fix it!!!

15. Paul Bates says:

Does anybody know the dates Katie hall will be playing the role of Christine in the UK tour in Manchester it is my understanding she has two days off a week where olivia brereton takes over but cant find the dates at all on who plays who which days.

16. Daniel Fotheringham says:

Well I loved the show. OMG! JOJ is so excellent as a phantom he nearly made me cry. In fact I loved it so much I’m seeing it at the Leeds Grand. My only bit of criticism for this production that could have had made it amazing is that they didn’t do a lot with the chandelier. Honestly, all it did was go up and that was that. But apart from that I would rate the production of Phantom a 4 out of 5 because the singing was amazing but I feel that there were some parts where there wa

17. Veronica Holden says:

Just been to see the new staging of Phantom and while the singing was good I must say the rest left me very disappointed . It certainly didn’t in my opinion compare with the original . I have seen the show many times , locally in Manchester, London and on Broadway and always enjoyed it. Sometimes a production would stand out and probably the best was a staging in New York when everything just worked so well on that night. Tonight however it all felt small , no chandelier falling, ok an effect but part of the drama, no staircase for Masquerade ,the Gondola only moved a couple of feet and lots of other cuts it seemed. To be honest probably wouldn’t go again.

18. Diana .N. E. says:

I took my husband to see “Phantom “- his first time. I have seen it three times before and I was vastly disappointed. I have seen it previously in three different venues and all the wondrous effects were in place. At the Palace Theatre Manchester it seemed that Cameron Macintosh had taken charge of the production there and cut out all the brightness and amazing effects. I was totally disappointed and upset for friends we had taken with us. In fact I felt badly let down with this “cut” production- what is Andrew Webber thinking about letting C.M take his gorgeous spectacle and wrecking it for followers

19. Kate says:

After seeing the 25th Anniversary production at the cinema and also the DVD I knew we had to see it on stage i London. Took my hubby in March; the atmosphere in the theatre was magical and Earl Carpenter was brilliant as the Phantom. I am booking tickets for a group of us to see the tour in Birmingham in March/April 2013 but not sure if Earl Carpenter will still be playing the Phantom as casting for dates after Feb have not been announced. Hope the production lives up to all our expectations. I’m waiting with baited breath to learn who will be in the lead role now!

20. Marit Rawley says:

When will it hit the U.S.?

21. Fundraisers for Schools,Fundraisers for Teams,Fundraisers for Charity,Fundraisers for Charities,Fundraisers for Clubs,Fundraisers for Leagues,Fundraisers for Groups,Fundraisers for Sports Teams,Candle Fundraisers,Fundraising for Schools,Fundraising for Te says:

Cheers!

22. Angie Bishop says:

Saw it in Bristol on Saturday – what a disappointment. Words fail me – if this was the first time anyone has seen it please go to London to see it again! Having seen it there so many times this production just did not work for me.

23. Caroline Atack says:

I went last night to the Leeds Grand Theatre to see this production.

FANTASTIC

Must see…

24. Kathy says:

Saw the show in Edinburgh last night – performers were wonderful, but I agree that the production of this one is a bit of a disappointment. No chandalier drop this time was a disappointment (same theatre did it last time), the lake/labarynth scenes looked a bit ‘am dram’ and Masquerade just wasn’t quite as spectacular as it should have been somehow. That said I think I probably paid less for a ticket this time than I did about 15 years ago. I’d rather have paid for the original show though.

25. susan harrison says:

where can I buy the crystal phantom mask brooch from the recent tour I saw it when I went to Manchester last year but didn’t buy it please help thankyou

26. Harry phillips says:

I hope a dvd comes out it will be good seeing the spectacular show again.